Did you know that there are more than 1 million miles of sidewalk in North America, and 15-20% need repairs…estimated at $15 BILLION? And this doesn’t even include the newly mandated sidewalk inventories, condition assessments, and legislation put forth by the U.S. Public Access Board.
How do your sidewalks & trails look? Are they hazard-free AND compliant?
Join David Hein to explore the latest innovation in sidewalks and recreation trail design, construction, and maintenance, and how you can apply these techniques to your sidewalks and trails to extend their lifetime, meet compliance, AND reduce your costs.
This webinar is scheduled live on Thurs., April 7 @ 11 a.m. PDT / 2 p.m. EDT, 1-1.5hr.* Register for the event by clicking the button below.
In this webinar, we’ll start with a look at the various types of sidewalk and trail surfacings, including: concrete, asphalt, rubber, recycled materials, natural stone, paving stones, bricks etc. For each surface we’ll outline the key components, design and construction best practices, maintenance, safety considerations, expected life, and costs. Hein will then walk us through the methods and tools of inspection, quality assurance, and condition assessment (e.g., manual, automated, etc.), and demonstrate how you can use these to thoroughly assess the condition of your sidewalks and trails (e.g., surface condition, longitudinal and transverse slope, surface texture, etc.). We’ll take a look at maintenance, rehabilitation, and asset preservation techniques (e.g., expansion joins, surface texture improvement, slab jacking and stabilization, etc.), and the condition management processes (e.g., condition ratings, performance curve development, future maintenance and rehabilitation needs assessments, etc.), and discuss how you can apply these to improve the condition and elongate the life of your sidewalks and trails. Finally, we’ll consider the national and local legislation and ordinances, and discuss how you can mitigate your risk, meet compliance, and limit your liability.
The webinar is designed for all levels of municipal involvement in the management, delivery, and maintenance of municipal sidewalks and recreational trails including: asset management, capital construction, inspection, and testing staff, operations, and maintenance.
Attendees can expect the discussion and education of the following learning objectives.
- Understand the key components, functions, and types of sidewalks and recreational trails
- Explore the sidewalk and trail surface types (e.g., concrete, asphalt, rubber, recycled materials, natural stone, paving stones, bricks, etc.), and learn their components, design & construction, maintenance, safety, expected life, and costs.
- Learn inspection, quality assurance, and condition assessment tools and methods: manual, semi-automated and automated data collection for surface condition, longitudinal and transverse slope, surface texture, etc.
- Learn maintenance, rehabilitation, and asset preservation techniques: expansion joins, surface texture improvement, slab jacking and stabilization, etc.
- Learn condition management processes and procedures including condition ratings, performance curve development, future maintenance and rehabilitation needs assessments, etc.
- Learn how to identify design and construction features that may negatively impact the performance
- Learn how to ensure compliance with national and local ordinances and requirements.
- Learn how to minimize liability due to trip and slip hazards.
Date & Time:
Thurs., April 7 @ 11 a.m. PDT / 2 p.m. EDT,
Presenter: David Hein, P.Eng.,
V.P. of Transportation & Principal Pavement Engineer
Applied Research Associates (ARA)
Credits: 1 PDH / 0.1 CEUs