It’s close enough now to CONEXPO that I can start marking things off of my checklist. Camera gear…check. Updated appointment schedule…check. Chargers…check. Cigars…check. (I like to enjoy a good Oliva or Romeo & Julieta at the end of a day there.) I do have some other items that are on my checklist, but they’re a bit too personal to share. (Like my diary—men call it a journal; my wife calls it a diary.) I will share with you a list from the CONEXPO website. It’s a list of 20 tips from veteran attendees. I can tell you from experience: take them all to heart.
We’ve put together this handy guide to cover “rent vs. lease vs. buy” questions. Included are three decision trees along with a recap of pros and cons of each option. How to Choose Between Rent vs. Buy. Download it now!
- Have a plan. There is no way you will see what you want to see by just coming across it as you walk. (View Exhibitor Directory)
- Download the app for your phone. (Search “CONEXPO-CON/AGG” in your app store.)
- Book a hotel close to the monorail system for the best access to the show.
- Bring multiple pairs of comfortable shoes.
- Don’t get hung up on just visiting “your manufacturers”. There are a lot of new technologies and companies to see.
- It only comes once every three years. Make every effort to be at the show all of the days, for most of the day.
- Let exhibitors you plan on visiting know you’re coming at least a week before. They may plan something special for you.
- Take breaks off your feet.
- Plan room in your luggage to take back a lot of freebies.
- Eat a good breakfast every morning!
- Start walking a few miles a day now to get in shape. If you are unable to walk for extended periods of time, scooters can be picked up in the Gold and Bronze Lots near the shuttle buses.
- Don’t miss the smaller tents and buildings. There is so much to see and many interesting booths.
- Bring a backpack to carry all of the information you collect.
- Go outside in the morning and inside in the afternoon when the temperatures heat up.
- Monitor and follow exhibitors on Twitter to find out about special events like concerts and giveaways.
- If you’re bringing children, bring a wagon or stroller.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Limit the alcohol, and don’t hit it too hard at night.
- Take your business cards and an external phone charger. You’ll need that for all the connections you’re going to make and all the photos you’re going to take.
- Don’t forget your hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- Have fun, and make friends!
Let me know if you’re bringing cigars!